06/01/2019

2019: Setting the Scene…



Earlier last year, I spent more than a few hours flicking through early pictures of Zen Buddhist communities in the US. This was followed (not intentionally), by reading Olivia Laing’s The Lonely City where a few pages about hoarding had a huge emotional impact on me (pp. 167-170).

It’s perhaps no surprise then that the above pic from Donald Judd’s kitchen, master of minimalism (whilst strongly rejecting the term), has set the scene for this coming year (I've thrown in the dining area as a bonus).

Everything that you need to cook is here. No scrabbling around in drawers required. I’ve been trying this out, not just in the kitchen, but for bathroom unguents and the bedroom wardrobe too. Laying things out and deciding what it is that I want and need. Always, much less than I thought.





No comments: